Why should depression and anxiety counseling require a look at Life Transitions, both negative and positive.
Positive could be marriage, birth of a child. winning the lottery, graduating from school, changing jobs.
Negative could be going through a break up, death of a loved one or watching a loved one deteriorate, living with a chronic illness, getting older.
Many people are afraid of change. We tend to prefer routine and stability and change disrupts self confidence and fear inhibits people from taking risks. There is the fear of failure or judgment. We must find allow ourselves to make mistakes to be able to adapt well with life transitions and to be able to enjoy living life to its fullest.
Here are some ways to survive and thrive through these challenging and uncertain times:
1. Have realistic expectations. Be patient.
2. Expect to feel anxious and depressed. How you look at this change, whether wanted or not, will determine if we can handle dealing with the unknown.
3. Feel the feelings of being out of your comfort zone. Keep in mind that this is the start of something new and the unknown is not to be feared.
4. Make a plan and follow it.
5. Get help from an experienced counselor. This support can help you move forward.
“Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck.” – Dalai Lama